Saturday 12 November 2011

My Journey __: the light at the end of a long dark tunnel


I've tried hard to be positive and leverage the good, but menopause has been a mind, body and soul destroying (and career destroying) horror for me. I’ve heard and observed other similar or worse experiences and seen lives changed forever.

Some people tell me of years and even more than a decade of discomfort and suffering and of radical changes in personality leading to marriage breakdown. On the other hand, one lady told me her friend, an older woman, had woken up one morning and the cloud had lifted and she felt normal again – no longer tired and low energy. I lived for that day!

Around September I emerged from a long dark tunnel into the sunlight again. The process was gradual over a few weeks (I think).

Post the MENOPAUSE CRISIS I was able to access some minimal medical help to solve immediate and pressing issues and also rule out anything sinister. Awesome was supportive even though a little nonplussed. He’s good at crisis management – he’s seen heaps worse. I really clung onto his advice about having faith in there always being a solution.

Solving the genital atrophy issue (yes I will blog on that – results were spectacular) and the face and neck skin deterioration issue was a great relief. After liberally using the oestrogen cream for about a week I started to feel more clear-headed and calmer. Obviously I was not in a lather of worry anymore, but I think it was more than that - I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The lessons:
  • There is ALWAYS a solution!
  • There is an end to menopause!
  • The right sort of support is really important.
  • Relationships can start in, and survive menopause.
  • Menopause is so horrid that its end can seem like heaven on wheels! 
After the rain golden flowers sparkle in the sun (photo Brisbane Spring 2007)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad to hear it, Candice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you M - some "rehabilitation" will be needed, but the worst is over thank goodness! :-)

    ReplyDelete