Saturday 30 April 2011

Friends last longer than spouses

Over the past few days I’ve been talking to an old friend – we’ve known each other for over 30 years. Back then he looked after me like a sister and he continues to show the same generosity of spirit. He’s now a CEO of an international company (I’m so proud of him!), yet he still takes the time out of his day to call me and share his journey to success and tactics and strategies for achievement.

Lately several of us have come to realize that friends do last longer than partners or spouses. We’ve supported each other through various numbers of separations and divorces and our friendship provides a constant in life. It’s very difficult to burden family with your interpersonal problems and fellow travelers can often provide insights they can’t.  

Today I am thankful for old and new friends and for the wonderful people I have met online. You’ve widened my horizons and helped me understand relationships and life in much more depth. Thank you!   
Still standing together and reaching for the sun ...

1 comment:

  1. I recently read a post where gentlmen who find difficulty in recruiting girlfriends discuss the positive aspects of having female best friends, even if there are no sex "benefits".

    As I commented, friends are forever, marriages not. You also don't have to worry about divorce settlements!

    There are many aspects to a married life, and with friends you can experience many of them without the high risk of marriage or without having to accomplish that very difficult task of finding and marrying a partner. For example, we cook together, enjoy walks and help each other through challenging times. When we need space we simply don't need to see each other!

    I reflect on the dubious benefits of marrying my ex and how we were trapped in a life that was slowly destroying us both. I don't think the (small) amount of sex was worth it! I would have been better off living independently and having friends with or without benefits!

    ReplyDelete